Join our FREE personalized newsletter for news, trends, and insights that matter to everyone in America

Newsletter
New

Nfl Says Terrion Arnold Case 'under Review' As Seahawks Contract Remains Unsigned

Card image cap

Terrion Arnold may have agreed to terms with the Seattle Seahawks, but it will likely be a while before the cornerback’s availability is determined.

Arnold and the Seahawks have not put ink to paper on a one-year deal that the two sides agreed upon. Seahawks coach Mike Macdonald told reporters last week the two sides are still working out the timing.

"The timetable right now is being worked out," Macdonald said, per the team’s official website. "To my understanding, he's (talked with) quite a few teams—eight-plus, maybe 10-plus teams—so we're working through that on when's the best time for him to come in, but we have an agreement with him, and we'll see. I really don't know how we're going to do it."

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reiterated Macdonald’s words in a social media post on Tuesday, Aug. 18, saying the signing was still not official.

Arnold is facing eight felony charges stemming from a kidnapping and robbery in Tampa, Florida, in February. He was arrested in Hillsborough County in June after turning himself in. A judge in Florida allowed Arnold to be released on bond. He was later released by the Detroit Lions.

Arnold, who’s pleaded not guilty, could face life in prison if convicted.

Rapoport also reported that the 23-year-old cornerback will be placed on the NFL commissioner exempt list when he signs with the Seahawks. While on the NFL commissioner exempt list, Arnold is ineligible to play or practice, but he would be permitted to attend meetings.

The NFL told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday, Aug. 18, that the matter involving Arnold “remains under review.”

Arnold was originally drafted by the Lions in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft. He’s logged 91 tackles, 18 passes defensed and one interception in 24 career games. He had a down year last year, only playing in eight games due to a shoulder injury. He allowed a 101.5 passer rating when targeted in those contests.

The Seahawks have high-priced cornerback Devon Witherspoon and Josh Jobe slated to start, but they do have a need for a third cornerback. Arnold is talented enough to be Seattle’s third cornerback if or when he returns to the playing field.  

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY Sports: NFL says Terrion Arnold case 'under review' as Seahawks contract remains unsigned